Congressman Denny Heck

Representing the 10th District of Washington
Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Flickr icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon

Help with a Federal Agency

If you do not receive a response from a Federal agency in a timely fashion, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, my office may be able to help resolve a problem or get you the information you need. While I cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, my staff and I will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response to your concern.

Residents of the 10th Congressional District of Washington can contact me for assistance in dealing with Federal agencies. In order to better serve you, please download, print, fill out, and return the Privacy Release Form (linked below) to my district office in Lacey or Tacoma during normal business hours. The address and phone numbers for my district offices can be found at the bottom of this page. My staff will contact you to provide assistance. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call us.

PDF icon2015 Privacy Form.pdf

FileEditable Updated Privacy Release Word Document.docx

FileEditable Updated Privacy Release Word Document.docx

Examples of federal agency assistance

David and Hiroko

When David - a resident of the 10th Congressional District - married Hiroko, they looked forward to their lives together in the Pacific Northwest. But as a citizen of another country, Hiroko first needed to apply for a visa in order to live in the United States.  

During the process, David and Hiroko encountered confusion while working with the National Visa Center, the agency in charge of collecting relevant information and documents for visa applications before they are sent to the proper U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The National Visa Center was in the process of altering their procedures for accepting evidence, which lead to a long delay in the process for David and Hiroko.

The Office of Rep. Denny Heck contacted the National Visa Center on David and Hiroko’s behalf to determine what was causing the delay. After receiving clarification on the updated policy, Hiroko was able to be interviewed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Citizen and Immigration Services and granted a visa in order to move to the United States.

“Having worked for the US Government both as a civilian and US Army Officer for 20 years, this is perhaps the most rapid response and remedy I have seen in the resolution of a governmental issue.”

For more information on immigration and citizenship, please visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website