Information on Medicare Card Changes
Medicare is issuing new cards to beneficiaries in order to help protect their identities. These new cards will no longer display your Social Security number. Instead, you'll be given a new Medicare number that’s unique to you.
New cards will be delivered to current Medicare beneficiaries in waves according to a schedule. Medicare beneficiaries in Washington state will be receiving their new cards after June 1, 2018. If you need to update your official mailing address, you can do that with your online my Social Security account at www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount. You can also call at 800-772-1213.
Unfortunately, scammers have already been trying to take advantage of the lack of awareness of these new cards. Here’s what you need to know:
- New card, same benefits. Your Medicare coverage and benefits will stay the same.
- It’s automatic. Your new card will arrive automatically, no additional identity verification needed.
- No additional charges. The new Medicare cards are free of charge. You do not have to pay a processing or delivery fee.
- Out with the old, in with the new. Once you get your new Medicare card, destroy your old Medicare card and start using your new card right away.
- Report scammers. If someone asks you for your information, for money, or threatens to cancel your health benefits if you don’t share your personal information, hang up and call Medicare at 1-800-633-4227.
For more information about these new cards, visit the Medicare website here.